Port Asset Management is becoming increasingly important, whether as a simple means of recording assets and maintenance works or as part of a larger scheme to fully optimise the management of all Port assets and resources.
Enterprise Asset Management solution contains information regarding work order cost ,work order execution details , work order downtime.“Maintenance” is the core feature, helps to minimize downtime reliably and integrate asset-related data, business processes, and analytics.
Asset Maintenance solution captures details about work order cost, work order execution details, work order downtime.Downtime can be a planned event or an unplanned event.
A strategic alignment between “Higher Productivity ” which is (operation KPI) and “Total Preventive Maintenance” which is (Maintenance Organization KPI) is brought in by:-
• Reducing Unplanned Downtime.
• Optimizing planned downtime
A good Business Intelligence tool , should provide :
1. Analytical capability to perform frequent failure mode analysis.
2. Comparative cost between periods for cost of break-down when planned downtime is performed on “TIME” V/S Cost of Break Down when planned downtime is delayed per day.
3. Comparative reason for analyzing what factors caused the delay in performing planned Maintenance.
• Weather or such external factors.
• Operational Pressures.
• Maintenance Inefficiencies.
Graphical decision tree:
Through Graphical analysis, the reasons for increase or decrease of unplanned maintenance cost can be analyzed by drilling down to core reasons, especially delay in performing maintenance delays. By carrying out preventive maintenance inspection and servicing on time, or within organization permissible limits, we can mitigate the risk of equipment failures and bring cost under control.
As can be seen in the below example of analysis, cost of repair tends to increase when the previous servicing schedules have been postponed ,and tends to be lower when servicing schedules delays are within certain limited delays. 81% of the QC repair Costs are when servicing schedules are delayed for more than 12 days, and this in consideration of the fact that QCs (in below example) contributes to 77.75% of repair costs overall.
The analysis and the number generated by above 3, should definitely be a guiding factor for ports and terminal to:-
• Get Operations and Maintenance to agree upon planned downtime schedules.
• Execute Planned preventive maintenance ,under agreed schedule and variances.
• Improve upon Operational Productivity and Production Efficiency due to reduced breakdown.
In practice, while TPM cannot be 100% implemented , the effort to perform any planned service (Preventive Maintenance) “ON TIME” reduce the cost of break down (unplanned downtime) by a significant margin For ports, unplanned maintenance equals unscheduled downtime and a significant hit to the bottom line, not only in terms of reduced throughput and revenue, but also in terms of managing relationships with shipping lines.